When deciding what type of headset mic to use you have the option of two different types. A headset mic or a headset and a separate microphone. This article helps you decide on which you should choose. There are quite a bit of different things and at the end you will be able to understand if Headset mics are good for streaming.
There are so many factors that differentiate headset from standalone microphones. This depends on what you need as a streamer and a gamer.
It is convenient- the headset allows you to speak easily into it without straining your head. You can move your head around and still communicate effectively to it. It will also not disrupt your sight because it is steady and doesn’t move up and down.
Headsets are less costly- in comparing the buying price, gaming headsets are cheaper than standalone microphones.
It is versatile- many gaming headsets can easily be compatible with most of the gaming devices and electronic devices such as PC, PS4 and Xbox one.
The battery life of the microphone- being that the battery must charge constantly then you cannot steam as it charges.
The microphone quality does not make it a better option for streaming. It is only suitable for gaming and not creating content.
People who stream for long hours may find it uncomfortable putting on gaming headsets for a long time while streaming perpetually.
Standalone microphones pros and cons
Let’s consider the following reasons for and against standalone microphones.
Standalone microphones Pros
• Professional picture- your fans or customers will have the image of professionalism in your work. They may tell your seriousness once you have a standalone microphone of your own.
• So many advantageous features- these features will help in improving the sound the standalone microphone will take. A good example is Blue yeti microphones which has features that enhance the sound it picks up for various tasks for example steaming and interviews, etc.
• The sound quality is good for content creation. This microphone is originally designed for content creation. It has a superb sound that a gaming headset do not have.
Standalone microphones Cons
• Standalone microphones are expensive as compared to headsets- apart from being expensive one may need to buy earphones or even headsets on top. This is to make the sound more effective by preventing your standalone microphones from using the game audio or sound. Other electronic accessories that you may add involve, a pop filter and a boom which help in regulating the amount of sound.
• It hinders flexibility- in order to have effective sound, one must remain seated so as to talk directly to the microphones. It doesn’t allow you to stand up and this prevents flexibility.
Outstanding microphones for streaming
Considering prices and other factors let’s discuss the best three gaming headsets in town.
1. Razer Kraken x gaming headset
- Surround sound it is furnished with 7.1 surround sound. An exact positional audio is given out by this USB headset.
- Its price on amazon is 64.42 dollars which is cheaper than
- It is a noise canceling microphone- for the purpose of enhancing clarity to your audience, razor kraken is fixed with noise cancelling technique that easily recognizes noise and suspend it.
- Razer kraken is durable and does not easily break or wear out. As proclaimed by many users of this headset, when handled with a lot of care, it will last for years.
2. Hyper Cloud II
- 7.1 virtual surround sound- which enhance an exact positional audio in order to provide sound clarity.
- It can be used for long as well since it is durable. It is created strong and cannot break easily. It is fixed with aluminum frame that is flexible therefore capable of accommodating various head sizes.
- Hyper cloud II is more costly than Razer kraken. The cheapest hyper X on amazon goes at 95.56 dollars.
3. NUBWO Gaming headsets
- Built for comfort. Soft leatherette ear cups and ergonomically padded headband allow for long gaming sessions without fatigue
- lmmersive Gaming Audio. Dual 50mm speaker drivers are engineered to produce detailed, balanced soundscape with ultra-low distortion for your games, music, movies, and more
- Noise-canceling Mic. The flexible omnidirectional microphone captures the user’s voice yet eliminates unwanted background noise.
- Convenience to Use: The in-line Audio control makes it possible to conveniently adjust the volume and mute the microphone without having to go into extra settings
If you are looking for one of the cheapest headsets on the market this is it.
How do you make a headset mic sound better?
There are several ways of improving the sound of your headset or even that of standalone microphone.
In order to get good amount of sound from your microphone, you may need to adjust it close to your face but distance it a bit from your mouth. This is the best way to treat a boom microphone that has its microphone fixed to the end of the boom. Here you will have to put the boom a bit lower in order to have a reasonable location of the microphone.
Microphone volume on your computer
Always ensure that the volume from your laptop is favorable. This is because if the sound is too loud it may affect or hinder the streaming. If it is too low your squad may not hear your instructions. Therefore maintain a favorable sound or volume from your PC.
Streamlabs OBS Mixer and Audio levels
From the streamlabs OBS you need to modify your audio levels. You have to view both your microphone audio levels and the desktop audio levels. Compare and set levels that suites you best. Being that I am a streamer personally, I would prefer a higher microphone audio than the desktop audio.
- Your streamlabs has got different types of filters that can better up the microphone sound. Choose one of the filters and use it to enhance the microphones sound. Keep alternating the filters to find the best that can work for you.
- The noise that come from the fans or background can easily be dealt with by these filters.
- The streamlab filters can be limiters to any unnecessary noise you may cause hence not disturbing your fans.it depends on your setting of these filters.
- The filters can also act as noise gates hence dealing with any noise from any other source e.g. disruption from keyboard or mouse clicking sounds.
I would advise that depending on your budget, you can start streaming with what you can afford or a headset you already own. There are many who started with just a gaming headset and still succeeded in becoming best streamers. If steaming is working well with you, I suggest you get your own standalone microphone which is specifically for content creation.